Boyd Tavern
Things to Do
Union Level Ghost Town
Original Site of Randolph Macon

Historic Sites

Historic TheatreThe rich history of the region dates back to before it was known as Mecklenburg County. The area was once a center of commerce for Native Americans. Later, the county played important roles in the Revolutionary War and the American Civil War. During its 250 years as a county, Mecklenburg has experienced prosperity, depression and the effects of war. The region has also played a role in the great movement for civil rights in America. Historical markers all across the county tell the fascinating stories of the people and events that influenced our history. Many historic buildings and homes can be seen, including Boyd Tavern, the original site of Randolph-Macon College, Prestwould Plantation and many more.

  • Boyd Tavern

    Boyd Tavern

    449 Washington Street
    Boydton, VA 23917
    • 434-738-9800
    More details

    Boyd TavernThe original Boyd Tavern was constructed in 1790. It consisted of a small one-story dwelling & tavern. Around 1816 the building was altered and expanded reflecting the nucleus of the present structure. By the 1820s, the building had evolved into a federal style.

    Following the civil war, the owners sought to give the tavern a different appearance. These changes are attributed to Jacob Holt, an architect-builder working in southside Virginia in the 1870’s. The early decades of the 20th century saw further exterior alterations.

    From the plain, country ordination of Alexander Boyd to a thriving hotel, to a boarding house which converted to apartments in 1922.

    Tavern is open for tours: 11:00am to 4:00 pm (Mon thru Fri). Be sure to visit us online to read more about Boyd Tavern.

    11:00AM-4:00PM (Mon-Fri)
    • Handicap Accessible
  • Buffalo Springs

    Highway 58 & Buffalo Springs Road (767)
    Buffalo Junction, VA 24529
    • 434-738-6143
    More details

    buffalosprings3Mineral (Lithia) water springs. In 1895 the water was sold for $5 a dozen half gallon bottles. It’s free to the public today.

    buffalosprings2Buffalo Springs is located off Highway 58 West only minutes away from Clarksville, Virginia’s only lakeside town, on the shores of Buggs Island Lake/John H. Kerr Reservoir

    Dawn-Dusk
    • Pet Friendly
    • Handicap Accessible
  • Clarksville Historic District

    Clarksville Historic District and Walking Tour

    105 Second Street
    Clarksville, VA 23927
    • 434-374-2436
    More details

    Take a historical walking tour through quaint downtown Clarksville. Learn about the town’s history as you enjoy 62 well-preserved homes, churches and businesses including the Easley House, once a hotel on the bluff overlooking Clarksville, and the 1829 Judge Henry Wood, Jr. House, now home to an art gallery. Clarksville was the first incorporated town in the county of Mecklenburg and in 1818 was named after its founder, Clarke Royster. The Royster-Oettinger House, built by the town’s founder, is included on the walking tour. Now known primarily as Virginia’s only lakeside town on the shores of Buggs Island Lake/John H. Kerr Reservoir, Clarksville still proudly claims the title of the oldest continuous flue-cured tobacco market in the world. Pick up a tour map at the Clarksville Chamber of Commerce or at the Virginia Avenue Mall.

    Dawn-Dusk
    • Pet Friendly
    • Handicap Accessible
  • Clarksville Regional Museum

    Clarksville Regional Museum

    8th Street
    Clarksville, VA 23927
    • 434-374-4434
    More details

    The Clarksville Regional Museum serves as a depository for the collection and preservation of items which are historically significant to the past, present, and the future heritage of the Clarksville region. The museum includes a Tobacco room, a Buffalo Lithia Springs room, a typical sewing room, and a newly designed military room. The museum has on display a collection of arrow heads and antique agricultural implements. A miniture town of Clarksville in the 1950’s donated to the museum by a local Train Club is a new exhibit.

    The museum is open April-November with operational hours Friday-Saturday 1-4PM, Sunday 2-4 PM and by appointment for special groups. Admission Free. The museum is located on 8th Street, off of Virginia Avenue in the historic Clarksville, Virginia; the only lakeside town on beautiful Buggs Island Lake/John H. Kerr Reservoir.

    Apr-Nov: Fri-Sat (1:00PM-4:00PM), Sunday (2:00PM-4:00PM)
    • Handicap Accessible
  • John H. Kerr Dam and Reservoir

    1930 Mays Chapel Road
    Latitude: 36.5984761 Longitude: -78.3005185
    VA
    • 434-738-6101
    More details

    johnhkerrdam2John H. Kerr Dam is concrete gravity-dam located on the Roanoke River in Virginia, creating Kerr Lake. The dam was built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers between 1947 and 1953 for the purposes of flood control, and hydropower

    8:00AM-4:30PM
    • Pet Friendly
    • Handicap Accessible
  • MacCallum More Museum and Gardens

    603 Hudgins Street
    Chase City, VA 23924
    • 434-372-0502
    More details

    maccallummore2MacCallum More, Scottish for Home of the Clan, was begun in 1929 by Lucy M. Hudgins, wife of Edward W. Hudgins, former Chief Justice of the Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals. Listed on the Virginia Landmark Registry and the National Historic Register.

    The gardens feature an arboretum, herb, wildflower, rose and theme gardens, as well as, fountains and eclectic imported works of art.

    The museum houses permanent exhibits: The Arthur Robertson Exhibit contains Indian artifacts dated 9500BC-1600AD; The Thyne Institute Exhibit tells the story of an African-American boarding school est. in 1876; & Chase City interests, such as The Mecklenburg Hotel Exhibit containing memorabilia from the hotel built in 1903 famous for its curative waters. The newest exhibit details the founding of Estes Express Lines in Chase City in the 1930’s and follows its growth to the present day. Portraits of George and Narcissa Endly, co-founders of Chase City, hang in the Foyer. The museum showcases revolving art displays of varied mediums.

    Office/Gift Shop and Chase City Visitor Center open to the public at no charge.

    Open Mon – Fri 10am – 5pm; Sat 10 am – 5pm and Sun 1pm -5pm Closed for Major Holidays. Call ahead during inclement weather.

    Mon-Sat (10:00AM-5:00PM, Sun (1:00PM-5:00PM)
    $7.00 (Adults), $3.00 (Children 5-12)
  • Mecklenburg County Courthouse

    393 Washington Street
    Boydton, VA 23917
    • 434-738-6191
    More details

    mecklenburgcourthouse2Mecklenburg County Courthouse is located in the heart of Boydton and currently houses the 10th Judicial Circuit of Virginia. After an extensive 10.7 million dollar renovation and expansion, it was re-dedicated with a ceremony on October 23, 2011. This Palladian courthouse was constructed between 1838 and 1842 by William A. Howard and James Whitice, using Thomas Jefferson’s architectural principles. It was constructed to replace the eighteenth-century courthouse and 1815 clerk’s office. Bricks from the floor and walls of the original clerk’s office were used for the walkways in front of the new courthouse. Howard and Whitice constructed the two-story, six-columned building at a cost of $8,000 with local brick and built the columns out of brick, covered with stucco, replete with entasis (the application of a convex curve to a surface for aesthetic purposes), as Thomas Jefferson’s builders had often done.

    8:00AM-5:00PM
    • Handicap Accessible
  • Original Site of Randolph Macon

    Original Randolph-Macon College Site

    170 Jefferson Street
    Boydton, VA 23917
    • 434-738-6191
    More details

    randolphmacon3This is the original site of Randolph-Macon College, built in the 1830’s in Boydton, Virginia. Efforts are currently underway to protect and preserve the site.

    A little-known fact about this site is that the college was not built on virgin ground – it was actually built over a horse racetrack. This racetrack was significant as it was the first documented oval horsetrack in the United States, dating back to the late 1700’s when Alexander Boyd founded the nearby historic site of Boydton, Virginia.

    Dawn-Dusk
    • Pet Friendly
    • Handicap Accessible
  • Prestwould Plantation

    Prestwould Plantation

    429 Prestwould Drive
    Clarksville, VA 23927
    • 434-374-8672
    More details

    prestwould4Seat of one of the principal Cavalier families of Virginia, Prestwould was built by Sir Peyton Skipwith for himself and his second wife, Lady Jean. Sir Peyton was an American-born Baronet, third in descent from Sir Grey Skipwith, who emigrated from England to Middlesex County, Virginia during the rule of Oliver Cromwell. An avid book collector and amateur botanist, Jean Miller Skipwith, Lady Skipwith assembled one of the largest libraries owned by a Virginia woman early in the 19th century. Prestwould remained in the Skipwith family for four generations into the 20th century.

    Call for Current Schedule
    Call for Current Admission
    • Handicap Accessible
  • The Colonial Center for the Performing Arts

    220 South Mecklenburg Avenue
    South Hill, VA 23970
    • 434-262-4170
    More details

    colonialcenter3The Colonial Theatre has special place in the history of our community and in the lives of many of our residents. It has weathered many difficulties, including economic crises, as well as years of neglect at various times. The Colonial is one of the few remaining vaudeville theatres of its era in Virginia.

    Originally built in 1925, it housed names such as Tex Ritter, Clara Bow, Joan Crawford, and many more. Through its restoration process beginning in 2001, it is now listed in the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places. The Colonial Center is three stories tall. Within the venue, there is an 400-seat auditorium with a balcony to stage a variety of entertainment. There are art galleries and a ballroom to view as well. Tours are available. Please go to our website for further information.

    8:30AM-4:30PM
    • Handicap Accessible
  • The Washington Tavern

    45 Bank Street
    Boydton, VA 23917
    • 434-738-0113
    More details

    The Washington Tavern, one of Boydton’s oldest buildings (originally located on Washington Street), was built by James Bruce of Halifax and Beverly Sydnor in 1820. Bruce was America’s first chain store owner and the tavern was used in his and Sydnor’s local mercantile establishment.

    Later, the building was part of the Exchange Hotel complex also located on Washington Street between Jefferson and Decatur Streets.

    In the 1850’s, the Washington Tavern served as the office of the stagecoach line to Petersburg, which traversed the Boydton-Petersburg Plank Road.

    In the late 1900’s, it was moved to its current location beside the United Methodist Church and is now being used as the parish house for the church. It may be toured along with the Methodist Church on Sundays between 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM.

    Sun (1:00PM-3:00PM)
  • Union Level Ghost Town

    Union Level Ghost Town

    3150 Union Level Road
    South Hill, VA 23970
    • 434-738-6191
    More details

    Once a bustling stop on the horse and carriage line in the early 1800’s, then rail line in the later 1800’s and early 1900’s, this unique remnant of times past was deserted once the rail line left.

    An entire line of store fronts and a church still line the country road here, surrounded by beautiful agricultural farms. This site is a unique window directly into life a century ago.

    It stands along an undeveloped section of what will potentially be an extension of the growing Tobacco Heritage Trail, a Virginia Rails to Trails project

    Dawn-Dusk
    • Pet Friendly
    • Handicap Accessible
  • Veteran’s War Memorial

    200 East Main Street
    South Hill, VA 23970
    • 434-447-4547
    More details

    During your visit please be sure to check out the Veteran’s War Memorial. A visually striking memorial that provides a stirring tribute to those who have given so much so that we Americans can live free. 

    Dawn-Dusk
    • Pet Friendly
    • Handicap Accessible
  • Whittle’s Mill/Max B. Crowder Memorial Park

    1793 Bridge Road
    South Hill, VA 23970
    • 434-447-3191
    More details

    whittlesmill3The beautiful old mill site on the Meherrin River has been Southside Virginia’s unofficial park for generations – and long South Hill’s best-kept secret. Recent restoration of the site and the publication of the Whittle’s Mill book have greatly heightened interest in the Meherrin River, the legacy of the Whittle family and the secrets of the old mill. Primitive tent camping available after dusk to those who complete a reservation form at the South Hill Town Hall ($5.00 per night fee)

    The ruins of at least 35 water mills are hidden along the river and creeks that empty into the Meherrin. Several were built before the American Revolution, and all predate the Civil War. Whittles Mill is the oldest and best known of the old mills along the Meherrin River.

    Here, you’ll get a glimpse of the natural and cultural significance of Whittle’s Mill – a remarkable American story whose roots all converge at the old mill on the Meherrin River.

    Dawn-Dusk
    • Pet Friendly