“What do you want to do this weekend?” This is a question that has plagued households for far too long… NOT ANYMORE! We have your list of what to do, where to stay, and what to eat and drink this weekend! ENJOY!
- We recommend popping by The Horseshoe Restaurant to try out some of their tasty Fall inspired delights, such as:
Apple Brie, & Bacon Burger – The 2015 Finalist in the Virginia is For Lovers Culinary Challenge
The Pilgrim – Thanksgiving on a bun!
Maple Bacon Dates – Order two servings, because they will not last long!
PIES – Brown Sugar, Southern Coconut, Chocolate Walnut… Get it by the slice, or walk out with a whole pie. This is a no judgment zone!
- We have all been taught how to set the table, but a true Southern table is not set unless it has Pimento Cheese on it! What started out as a plan to sell pimento cheese at the local famer’s market (ONCE!!) has turned into a state-wide delight serving over 19 locations! Birdie’s Pimento Cheese can be found throughout Central and Southern Virginia and North Carolina in a variety of delicious flavors.
Flavor to try: Ghost Pepper – Just in time for Halloween, Ghost Pepper has continued to fright and delight patrons year after year!
- Now, the old rule is you get Dessert AFTER you finish all of your food… Your secret is safe with us! Try visiting The Cottage Barn in Downtown Clarksville for a delicious sweet treat!
Flavor to try: Farm Fresh Pumpkin – Because, Fall!
- Rosemont of Virginia in LaCrosse – Enjoy 100% estate grown wine just miles from the fall colors of beautiful Lake Gaston!
- Three Sisters of Shiney Rock– Muscadine and Scuppernong are not only fun to say, but pretty tasty as well! You can get both here and much more!
- American Way Country Winery – Craft winery producing distinctive flavors all grown and produced on site!
Flavor to try: Perilous Pear
- Bondurant Bros. Distillery – Available NOW at local ABC stores around the state and opening very soon for public tours and tastings! Mix in a little history with your next cocktail!
With the weather getting a little chillier, there is a perfect way to combat the elements all the while enjoying beautiful views of Virginia’s Largest Lake! Occoneechee State Park features 13 cabins ranging from 2 bedrooms to lodges fit for up to 16 of your closest friends and family! Featuring stunning views of Kerr Lake (known locally as Bugg’s Island Lake) and miles of trails, these cabins will add the perfect touch to any couple’s getaway, angler’s retreat, or a girl’s weekend out!
This weekend offers a WIDE variety of fun and adventurous activities. Here are a few of the highlights:
40thAnnual Boydton Day Celebration – This annual event will feature over 75 vendors displaying and selling their wares, including artisanal foods, crafts, drinks and much more! The event will open to the public at 9:00AM and will kick off at 10:00AM with the parade, featuring the oldest member of the Boydton Fire Deparment at 96 years old, Mr. W.G. “Sox” Allgood leading the way as this year’s Grand Marshal!
Attraction to see while you’re there: Quilt Competition – Being held outside of the Quilter’s Nook (129 Bank Street, Boydton, VA)
Staunton River State Park – STAR Party – Currently world-wide there are only 41 sites that have been designated as a Certified International Dark Sky Association (IDA) International Dark Sky Park and we have one just a short drive away at Staunton River State Park! Check in at the Visitor’s Center this Saturday, October 29thbetween 8:00PM-11:00PM and a staff member will escort you to the Observation Field where seasoned astronomers will have telescopes available for the public to observe celestial bodies, planets, constellations, and other astronomical objects!
Oak Grove’s Fun on the Farm – GET LOST in this wonderfully designed corn maze while taking in the beautiful Fall sites in Southern Virginia! Hay rides, mini corn maze for the little ones, and Fall décor (pumpkins, gourds, cornstalks, etc.) are all available too! Friday and Saturday evenings from 7:00PM-10:00PM will feature the Haunted Adventure!
Fun Fact: We still haven’t made it out and are writing this from inside the maze!